Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Virginia is for Lovers

Life has been great these past few weeks! My best friend, Melinda Roderick, got married at the end of June and flew me out to Virginia last minute to be there with her. We had previously discussed me going out to Virginia for her wedding, but my money situation was just not cooperating with our plans. Being poor is not a fun position to be in...in case any of you were wondering;)

We were both pretty bummed that I couldn't be there, but it was what it was and we both were trying to accept it and move on. Then she called me out of the blue on Tuesday (8 days before her wedding) and said she really wanted me to be there and she was going to fly me out that Saturday if I could get the time off! Talk about true friendship! I was literally SHOCKED that she would do that for me! It was a tender moment that we had knowing she was willing to pay big bucks out of her wallet so that I could be there for her big day! I'm so lucky to have her as a friend.

To my amazement, everything worked out beautifully. I was able to get a sub for the next week at work despite such short notice, I found a ride to the airport, and I was able to get all my stuff into a carry-on so I wouldn't have to pay to check a bag.

After over 10 hours of travel time, I finally made there in the wee hours of the morning. Left 1:30pm Utah time and arrived at 2am VA time... A journey complete with a 4 hour delay in Phoenix and a Salvedorian named Roberto flirting it up with me on the 4 hour plane ride into DC. Haha, it was pretty funny actually:)

It was so great to be back in Virginia! I had forgotten just how much I love it out there! Mostly because of the people, but the trees and the environment is so different from the red rock and mountains I've become accustomed to in the past 5 years. So many things have changed there but yet, at the same time it's almost as if I never left!

We went to church on Sunday (at 9am) and I saw quite a few people from our old Prince William ward. It was pretty funny because no one really recognized me at first...they would look at me like they thought I looked familiar but then keep walking! and I didn't want to walk up to them and say hello if they had no idea who I was:) So when Melinda introduced me in Relief Society there was this, "Oooohhhh" sigh and then "Ahhh!" It was awesome. I got to visit with the Stokers that evening and it was great just to catch up with them. I sure love that family!

Monday and Tuesday were filled with food and yard preparations, since the reception was being held in their backyard. Nothing too exciting to report there, it was just fun to be with Melinda and her family again. Sister Roderick took all us girls out to get pedicures that night as well:)

Wednesday was the wedding day. Melinda and her Mom got up at 5 to go get her hair and makeup done, while I stayed behind to help get all of her younger siblings ready. It was really fun actually and we all had a great time!

Needless to say I was so happy for Melinda! It was so great to be there and I loved every minute of it. It was sad to see her leave the reception, knowing that even though we'll always be great friends, our relationship won't be the same anymore. I almost caught the bouquet too...but it was snagged from my grip! Overall, it was an excellent trip and I was reluctant to come home! but I guess all good things must come to an end sometime...even when we really don't want them to.

I've had quite a few friends get married already, but this one definitely has had the greatest impact on me. Can't believe I'm old enough to have married friends! Ah well, I guess I'll just have to get over that:)



Me and Mel in front of the Dc temple right after they came out!Charlie (Melinda's youngest sister) and I

Emily Roderick (Mel's sister), Emily Peterson, and Me and the reception.

Melinda and Marc's engagements hanging at the reception

The Roderick's BEAUTIFUL backyard! It was so gorgeous.




Familia: recognize these? Yep, these are the same shepard hooks that were purchased for Tara's wedding in 2001, and have been used for everyone's wedding except Ali's. We Left them in VA with Sister George when we moved and man they are STILL going strong!
I walked into the Roderick's garage and I saw them sitting there in the corner and I just started laughing! The Roderick's thought I was crazy until I explained that those hooks used to be ours:)




Their Pond and walkway.

The Wedding Party

Reflection pool. So beautiful. Makes me think of when Katie was sealed to us!
Christina, Jennifer, and Me (Melinda's sisters) chillin on the couch


Melinda and Marc with the 400 cupcakes that were made for the reception.

2 comments:

  1. you didnt tell me about roberto!! oooh la la la! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lyndz - this was really fun to read! Glad you had such a good time. I'm thankful we had the chance to live in Virginia for so many years and make such great friends! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete